Collection of data in the sports sector for constant monitoring of relevant physiological indicators, is increasingly becoming essential, for players to perform over long periods of time, under stressful and challenging conditions. Smart wearables enable constant monitoring of player’s vitals, movements, and other relevant indicative data with the help of sensors.
For the last few years, there has been an increase in adoption of wearable technology, thereby helping players in making effective training and coaching decisions as well as aligning customised strategies related to team and individuals. The decisions are based on the statistics rather than the past experiences and gut feelings. There is a high demand for real time player stats and corresponding sports analytics among professionals, and the demand will continue to grow further, fuelled by wearable technology which have transformed sports sector and offered new opportunities for measuring player movements.
Companies offering wearable technology in sports
- Kinexon, a provider of real time intelligence has developed a wearable technology that detects motion data with a micro sensor attached to athletes back. Device tracks motion data and centimeter-accurate 3D-localization, that is analysed in real time by an analytics engine.
- Technology provided by Zebra Technologies, an “Official On-Field Player-Tracking Provider” of the NFL capture the metrics about NFL players, distance, speed and location and convert it into real time useful statistics. The light weighted chip is embedded in players shoulder pads.
- Catapult wearable technology is often attached on the player’s back or worn under the wrist band to provide the information needed to measure athlete readiness, reduce injury risk, and quantify return to play. Some of the clients of Catapult includes NBL, Rugby, Football, League, and FC Bayern Munich to name a few.
- ARION provides the next generation wearable which helps runners in improving their techniques to run longer, faster and safer.
How it will improve sports performance
- Wearable technology can be beneficial for both professional athletes as well as recreational sportsperson, for tracking their efforts and making training strategies accordingly.
- It helps in boosting individual as well as team performances by providing valuable data needed to analyse their performances, health, and locations.
Wearable technology by providing real time data helps in reducing injury risks so that it doesn’t affect the athlete’s performance.
– Sonam Chawla,