Automation in Healthcare
Currently, the foremost factor which is minimizing human intervention in the Healthcare industry is the advent of AI in healthcare automation. Despite its lack of hype, AI implementation to automate elementary tasks in maneuvers and administration is expected to result in improved patient experience, quality of service, better project implementation, as well as subordinate costs. As healthcare and IT leaders are working to recover clinical results and hospital processes, understanding the emerging technologies is important. Innovations in domains such as electronic health records (EHR), revenue cycle, and operations are expected to empower AI implementation in the healthcare industry in the future. Moreover, the industry is undergoing major modernizations in the field of Robotic Process Automation (RPA) and Cognitive Process Automation (CPA) to diminish human errors during real time healthcare delivery. While RPA allows macro level task automation, regulating tasks which have a static workflow and predetermined rules, CPA is built on machine learning, natural language processing and speech recognition.
IMPACT OF AUTOMATION IN HEALTHCARE
- Faster data to enrich EHRs
- Improved ordering process within the EHR
- Smarter billing processes for payers
- Adapting stuffing for dynamic emergency and ambulatory services
- Less chance of human error, hence increasing quality and consistency
Robotic Process Automation (RPA)
RPA modernizes, streamlines processes, increase efficiency and reduce up to 50% in cost of healthcare delivery. RPA is expected to contribute to healthcare savings by precisely recognizing the healthcare claims which don’t meet the requirements and hence recuperating significant amount of money. According to McKinsey, 36% of the healthcare tasks (managerial and back-office) are amenable to automation.
Few of the major RPA companies offering robotics solutions to healthcare business enterprises:
- UiPath - UiPath, which is headquartered in New York with offices in London, Paris and Bucharest, offers advanced, scalable and extensible RPA solutions customized to back office, IT management, customer service, finance and accounting requirements. UiPath’s RPA solutions include accounts payable automation, claims processing automation, contact center automation, finance and accounting automation and healthcare payer automation into BPO, Finance& Banking, Insurance, Healthcare, Telecom, Manufacturing, Public Sector, Retail & CPG industry verticals. The automated technologies offered by the RPA major are Desktop Automation, Web Automation, GUI Automation, Screen Scrapping, Citrix Automation, Mainframe Automation, SAP Automation and Excel Automation.
- Pegasystems - Pegasystems located across North America, Europe & Middle East, APAC and South America offers intelligent process automation platform across Financial Services, Insurance, Healthcare & Life Sciences, Government, Manufacturing, Energy & Utilities domains. Pegasystems offer Robotic Automation and Intelligence solutions through Pega Robotic Desktop Automation, Pega Robotic Process Automation and Pega Workforce Intelligence. Pega Bots intends to offer real-time AI, end to end automation, low code speed, cloud choice and multi-dimensional scale technology offerings.
- Softmotive - Softmotive enterprise automation “Processrobot”, focuses to eliminate costs, enhance productivity, and accelerate business performance. ProcessRobot can be easily deployed on an economical setup with effortless collaboration between all business stakeholders integrating data from excel, MySQL and other databases. Softmotive’s RPA solutions are applied to Finance & Accounting, Insurance, Telecommunications, Health Care, Call Centres and Banking verticals. Softomotive offices are located in UK (London), USA (NYC), Greece, and India.
Cognitive Process Automation (CPA)
CPA has been implemented in various processes till date, from digitization of EHR, to conserving inventory, dealing with unstructured data and addressing regulatory and reporting challenges, across the healthcare industry. Cognitive technologies are being applied by health plans to systematize prior authorization, which was otherwise manually rigorous, time consuming, and expensive exercise. With regard to population health, CPA is considered to help identify patterns in data via automatic analytical techniques, that can be applied to produce informed predictions. Hence, health plans can better comprehend, forecast, and influence the health of patient population. Health plans are likely to accept CPA for defining product strategies, sustaining provider networks, marketing and sales, and patient engagement in the future.
As task-level computerization with RPA is being gradually mastered across healthcare organizations, it is imperative to focus on the next prospect. RPA assistances in healthcare is expected to attain its dip, mainly due to majority of the decisions in the healthcare domain need to be executed based on framework and with additional level of instinctiveness and sophistication. CPA is positioned to convey this commotion to healthcare, where intelligent data recovery and optimization happen faster than ever. Workflows are expected to be more efficient and the specialists will have the freedom to emphasis on more value-added work, eventually minimizing the nuisance/complexities of the end-to-end healthcare delivery process.
– Victor Mukherjee,