Virtual Reality is Improving Design Engineering
At the outset, CADD Centre Training Services has served as the nation’s flagship comprehensive institution of higher education. We are advancing the institute’s tradition of rendering excellence in Engineering and Technology Education through high-quality programs. Yet another element of CADD Centre’s mission is to contribute largely to national skill development initiatives for sustainable development.
In this column, I would like to mention that back then in 1961, the invention of computer-aided design (CAD) made it possible to explore on-screen models. Since then, the technology continued to develop and introduce cave automatic virtual environment (used in vehicles), haptic gloves, and head-mounted displays (VR headsets). It was wonderful to watch virtual reality helping design engineers to visualize concepts before finalizing it for manufacturing.
Over these years, I have seen the VR technology transforming. It is evident that virtual reality is widely used in design engineering by aerospace and automotive sectors for generating product prototype for a small cost. Today, design engineers across the world can access VR for identification of issues and rectify before the production of its physical prototype.
The possibilities for design are endless for those who bring CAD to VR. By combining the power of virtual reality with engineering and technology, users can proliferate their prowess exponentially by working with immense accuracy whilst designing to view their work virtually in a three-dimensional perspective.
VR allows the designers to verify the assembly model, performing assembling and dismantling in virtual world, gives them a great experience to interact with the product in virtual environment.
With VR, design approvals can be obtained at faster rates. Customers and designers can enter the same virtual world while in different locations and easily communicate any design changes in real time. Customers can also experience the product and request additional customizations before making a purchase.
Here, are the few highlights to mention as I speak regarding virtual reality in design engineering:
- Virtual Reality in design engineering saves time, money, and avoids potential problems during the production process.
- The technology optimizes final product design by taking right decisions at the early stage of production.
- Now with just a few easy steps, the CAD model can be converted into VR, and shared with clients for feedbacks.
- In design engineering, VR identifies product manufacturing cost before the manufacturing protocol.
- Just saying, had VR been available in 1899, Wilbur and Orville Wright (inventors of the airplane) would not face so many problems. They encountered issues which include insufficient lift and deviation from intended direction.
- The generation is truly blessed to have the technology (VR) to depict fine-grained details of an engineering product and maintain the illusion.
Mr. S. Karaiadiselvan
Managing Director, CADD Centre Training Services Pvt Ltd.