Between 2016 and 2017, the adoption of wearable devices such as, B2B-ready smartwatch is observed to be growing to improve workplace efficiency. Enterprise wearable devices are mostly used in healthcare, mining, transportation, construction and other industries to increase employee mobility and workplace safety.
Healthcare component manufactures are looking for emerging opportunities with shrinking the equipment size by increasing its computational power. The emergence of wearable device can be explained with the similar ideology. As the wearables evolve, their size will reduce further by posting an increased demand for embedded devices. This will push the healthcare organizations to see ingestible technology and smart pills. As of 2017, there were more than 300 million wearable devices of in use and the devices like, Smartwatches, wristbands, sports watches, fitness monitors are the most popular healthcare related wearable devices. Currently, over 26% of the wearable devices are in use for tracking health related information from users.
Meeting security requirements in regulated industries like, healthcare is quite a challenging task due to high degree of manageability concerns. However, healthcare companies are focusing on establishing device policies to safeguard their information from malfunctions.
- Healthcare communities have started using wearable devices mostly to serve patient’s needs. The fitness band, smartwatch or any other device that tracks user’s activity are being used to monitor patient on real-time to treat illnesses.
- Adding to smart watches and wearable devices, smart glasses, internal-sensor-based devices, smart footwear, smart apparel, movement sensors, heart straps, skin-friendly adhesives, and wearable patches are expected to be used to track patient activities efficiently.
- These devices are used for diagnosing to treat chronic diseases using real-time analytics. Tracking this information will help patients to prevent health issues before they occur.
- The higher adoption of wearable devices would bring more and more people under an organized and real-time data platform, which could reduce the cost of healthcare.
- The data that is created is being shared between customers, providers, and third-parties, such as insurers, healthcare enterprises and others. This is creating the need for more secured tools for enterprise data security.
- The higher penetration for BYOD in healthcare industry is posting a need for cybersecurity solutions to deal with evolving threats and the higher usage for third-party apps is also leaving security holes.
- Social Security Numbers, insurance and payment information are some of the other targeted areas by the hackers. However, healthcare communities are yet to find a solution to address the security vulnerability of a healthcare organization in case of a stolen device and emerging challenges with the current deployment mode while increasing the volume of devices to be monitored.
The emerging need for data protection and cybersecurity in the healthcare is posting an opportunity for the healthcare organizations and enterprises to work towards finding a cybersecurity solution that is custom driven towards addressing these pain-points. Cybersecurity companies are providing solutions with data and privacy risk assessments to mitigate the risk while third-party vendors are involved in complementing such solutions. Due to this, the healthcare industry will see higher number of partnerships emerging in this market to deal with fundamental strategic challenges.
ICT Market Research