With more population moving to urban areas, the need to think smart and apply tech innovations to improve public security is very important.
The concept of smart cities revolves around the information collected through people, devices, content, and services. It provides a platform to directly align with the stakeholders, people, and customers to evaluate and identify new ways to make people live better.
It is important to design the technology which can get the right outcome and can scale when necessary. It is also important to establish the right data policies for smart cities to run successfully.
Requirements for Smart Cities to run successfully
- Designing Master Planning: The cities have diverse populations with multiple socioeconomic statuses, each having different needs. This makes it important to recognize and embrace all the sections of the society while implementation the smart city plan and create a divisive innovative strategy that can benefit the population across the city.
- Public/Private Partnerships: For smart cities to run successfully, effectively leveraging public-private partnership is extremely important. The infrastructure developed should be socially sustainable and it should answer the needs of the common man. It should act as a bridge in creating an economic union between public agencies, private enterprises, and government.
- Adoption of 5G technology: Developing top-notch technology is important for the smart city to be successful. The high-speed 5G internet service is one thing that will make a huge difference in the implementation of smart cities. It will play a key role in communicating between devices like sensors and cameras. Its effective operation will effectively pave the way for the introduction of innovative systems like autonomous vehicles.
Advantages of Smart Cities
- Importance of smart devices: Smart traffic lights help in efficiently directing traffic flow. It manages street lights based on the presence of pedestrians. Smart sensors continuously analyze, monitor and will generate real-time data on air pollution. Also, Smart buildings are capable of monitoring the condition of the building and the safety of the people inside it.
- Scope to create live maps: Smart cities will be capable of sharing data between systems. This will provide scope to merge technologies like big data, GIS and analytics to create maps in real-time. This information from living maps can be further used to study public behavior covering multiple aspects.
- Faster emergency response: Smart cities will help public safety vehicles to locate an individual’s call more accurately using data generated from digital hubs installed at various location across the city. This allows the government to respond quickly and with precision during emergencies and disasters.
More often the discussions about smart cities are focused on technology than people. But it is people and money that create larger problem while planning and implementing a smart city technology. For the smart city to run well and be useful to every citizen, it is very much required that every individual across communities should participate and play his/ her part in the overall development of the plan. The entire concept of a smart city is multiplied when the whole community is networked with each other. The services that look shady in the beginning will provide larger benefits when integrated within the communities.
– Pavan Mudholkar,
Sr Research Analyst,