Printed electronic devices such as disposable laminar batteries, sensors and display circuits are making the way for electronic smart packaging. Electronic smart packaging is changing the old school of packaging and helping to protect, inform and promote consumer’s interest and enhancing the way packing is done.
Devices like anti-theft tags and RFID smart labels are enabling innovative low-cost packaging which helps to enhance brands, cover new regulations and help to control crime.
Key benefits of using smart packaging:
- Smart packaging helps to enhance customer interface by engaging customers to use newer forms of technology platforms and providing them with relevant product information.
- Manufacturers are embedding smart codes on the packs which provides consumer with more information regarding sourcing, nutrition and dietary.
- Smart packaging uses sensing devices which helps to establish a dynamic interaction with consumers.
- The time temperature indicator plastics used in smart packaging technology helps to detect loss of quality amongst products packed.
- Smart packaging uses food labels that can ascertain the freshness of the product placed in the retail shelves.
- Smart packaging helps to track the quality packaged goods covering various points within the distribution line.
Sighting the benefits several companies are accepting it as new normal. According to Infoholic Research, a global market research and consulting firm, the Worldwide Electronic Smart Packaging market is expected to grow at a CAGR of 45.5% during the period 2016–2022 will worth $1,700.8 million by 2022.
Current industry trends that are driving the electronic smart packaging market:
Trend #1: Self-heating package which can indicate the quality of the packet
The self-heating food packaging techniques are making it easy for consumers to have a hot beverage and a snack on the go. It also helps to monitor and communicate information regarding food quality using time-temperature indicators. They provide clear, visual information which provides greater control to consumers about the product. It uses intelligent sensors which can indicate and recognize when food is at its nutritional best and when it should be disposed of.
Trend #2: Intelligent pharma and compliance packaging
Compliance packaging is used by pharmaceutical companies to make it easy for patients to follow their medicine schedule uses GSM network to keep track of when a pill is taken out of the medicine package and gives alarm if the patient forgets to take medicine. Medicine packs are using intelligence packaging which can connect packs to smartphones which allows patients to keep track.
Trend #3: Multi-sensorial packaging
The new packaging technique combines different materials which enhances multi-sensorial experiences of the consumer. Brands are adopting sensory marketing strategy which can influence consumer’s purchasing decisions by using multiple senses like different color, shape, textures, sounds and smell of a pack.
Trend #4: Integrating special functionality
Companies are integrating special functionality into their packaging. They add anti-microbial agents into the plastics which can respond to bio-switch and gets triggered when bacterial growth occurs. This technique increases the stability and helps reduce the amount of preservatives added. This special packaging is useful for shipping organs as to keep the organs alive and fresh for transplanting.
The smart packaging is growing in several ways which helps consumers to access information, receive and store data, check authenticity of product and its conditions. It further delivers messages to customers, shippers and brand owners regarding their stock and tracks products at multiple shipping points by using intelligent packaging technologies which are embedded into the pack.